I’m a big Harry Potter fan.  Read all the books several times.  Can quote you lines from the movies.  Favorite theme park beverage is pumpkin juice from Universal Studio’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter (although I can’t talk myself into $6 a bottle via mail order).  As Hagrid says “It’s not every day your young (wo)man turns eleven, now”, so when my daughter turned eleven recently, I made sure she received her Hogwart’s Acceptance Letter. The template for that letter I’ll share down below, so you can have some fun too.  You can also order a custom made letter, if you don’t have the time or inclination to do it yourself.

Of course, if you’ve read the books, you’ll know Harry actually started receiving his letter days before his eleventh birthday, but was kept from reading them by his Uncle.  It wasn’t until the midnight of his eleventh birthday that Hagrid made a point of delivering the acceptance letter in person, which is why fans have started this tradition.

My Word document template varies in wording a bit from the book, because I wanted to make sure she realized this had arrived because she had turned eleven.  It is three pages long.  The first is the actual acceptance letter.  The second is the list of supplies you need for the year.  The third is the Ministry of Magic’s explanation for why the letter arrived via muggle mail, rather than an owl.

hogwarts

You’ll have to go download a font to go with the template.  A wizard letter in Comic Sans isn’t that realistic.  I got the font I used from here.  I printed the letter on fancy card stock.  I didn’t have time to age it, but it looked fine anyways.  If you want to use wax to seal the letter or envelope, you’ll need sealing wax.  Regular candle wax is too runny, stains the paper, and won’t hold it closed.  I was hoping anyways, as I don’t keep sealing wax on hand.

So feel free to download this, modify and print out your own Hogwart’s Acceptance Letter.  Your young wizard or witch will find it pretty cool.  Download template here.

UPDATED JUNE 2016: If you don’t have the time, inclination or materials to do this project yourself, I can create a custom letter for you.  Click here for more information and to order.

Tagged with:

44 Responses to You’ve Been Accepted … To Hogwarts

1. Les Howard says:

What a great thing to do for your daughter. If she’s as big a Harry Potter fan as you are, I’ll bet she loved it. Thanks for sharing.

2. dawn says:

how fantastic! quick tip for aging is to buy a parchment tan paper(Astroparche is the brand I’m familiar with). then burn the edges.there’s also colored (even glitter) hot glue you can use instead of the wax. Wish I’d have thought to do this when my boy turned eleven. 🙂

3. Wendy says:

awesome Sean! I bet your daughter loved it!

4. Dara says:

I’m a massive Potter fan and love it when I get to share that excitement with my students. One of my swim team girls told me that she asked for a Harry Potter acceptance letter for Christmas. She’s 13, so it’s a little late… so I’m using the excuse that she’s been hidden in America with muggles as the reason why she hadn’t gotten it before. Thanks for helping me make a kid’s dream come true. I’m putting it in her locker next week. :o)

5. Crystal says:

Thank you so much for helping me make this happen for my daughter. She will be so excited on Sunday to receive this letter.

6. Lauren Schex says:

Doing this for my little sister’s 11th birthday 🙂 Thanks for the template!

7. hannah says:

giving my favorite cousin this for his 11th birthday! thanks:)

8. Delaney says:

Thanks so much for sharing! I hope your daughter loved it- I have no doubt she did. Is it bad that I’m sending this to myself…? Perhaps. I don’t care, though. Thanks again!

9. Rox says:

You are AMAAAZING!!!!! Thank you SOOO much, I can’t wait to see the look on my sister’s face 😉

10. Mia Granger says:

thanks this is so cool
    im having a harry potter themed party soon so this is an amazing document for an invitation 🙂

11. Lisa says:

I love this. Thanks for putting it together. 🙂

12. Bran says:

I am about to do the same thing!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!$$$$$!!!! !!!! Thanks for sharing!

13. Elizabeth says:

We’re heading to Universal soon so am sending this letter to my daughter before we go! Thanks so much for the free download.
    Elizabeth

14. Alexa says:

I made this for my daughter, It’s amazing! Worked like a charm (no pun intended)! She is 12 but the letter says 11 so I changed it to 12 and also added an apology for being late due to the owls always getting interfered by Muggles. 😉

15. Liz says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. My theme for March is Reading Month this year is Harry Potter, so all my 4th, 5th and 6th graders are getting their letters on Monday morning. You saved me SO much work – thanks!

16. Ahmed says:

You made the children happy but did they really go to hogwarts?

17. Shannon says:

Thanks for sharing this Sean. My friend is a real Potter fan so hopefully this will make her day!

18. M&D says:

We are going to use this on our nine-year old sister for April Fools Day (with some editing, of course). Hope it works!

19. Jared says:

Hi just want to ask how do I edit it after I download it ? My sisters birthday is today and I decided to make her one as she is a huge fan so I hope you can tell me how to edit it after I download the templet thanks

20. Jess says:

Hey Sean! thanks for this cool article! I’ve actually been working for a long time to make a PERFECT delayed acceptance letter on my computer but the one single question I have…
    How in the world do you print on an envelope?
    Please email any advice to helmberger2002@gmail.com
    Much appreciated this article was great, Thanks!:D

21. Craig says:

Fantastic!!! I just made one for my daughter who turns 11 tomorrow. many thanks for making the template for us!!!!!

22. […] you may know I’m a big Harry Potter fan from my previous post about Harry’s Hogwarts Acceptance Letter.  So, of course, I find the two Wizarding World Of Harry Potter areas at Universal Orlando some of […]

23. […] letter along with her school supplies list. I got the template and the font for the letter here by downloading it for free. This was on the top of the box and was covered with a piece of paper […]

24. Emily says:

had to up the size of the font a little to make it legible but this is awesome! – im making it for my 20 year old boyfriend…. he is gonna love it

25. Betsy says:

We gave the Hogwarts acceptance letters to our 7yo twins tonight and they loved them! They couldn’t believe their names were on them or how they got to the house- I told them it’s magic! They especially loved the wax seal!

26. Nikki says:

You saved the day! I ordered a Hogwarts letter off of Etsy for my 11 yr old Harry Potter obsessed daughter for Christmas. I got it yesterday and it is something I could have typed myself in a standard word, cursive font and printed in 5 minutes off the computer (and made much much cuter). I am so mad! Not only that but she charged me 25 dollars! Yours is so much cuter!!! I am going to go get some parchment paper and sealing wax and print yours out to save Christmas! What would I do without you!

27. Dani W says:

Sean Locke does a phenomenal job with these harry potter acceptance letters, customizing it to fit your recipients age, location, sex etc. He walked me through the entire process, was super creative, helpful, and just overall wonderful. It was a great gift!

28. Lauren says:

Do you still do these Hogwarts letters?

29. Cruz says:

My girlfriend is a huge Harry Potter fan and I’m going to attach a modified version of this (as a promposal) to a stuffed white owl after watching a marathon of the movies, and she’ll love it thank you for the template!

• Sean Locke says:

That is a great plan – glad it was useful. I modify this all the time for people that order custom letters. Good luck!

30. Anat says:

Great idea!!
    What about ordres abroad to Israel?
    Devoted fans here as well, and my daughter is turning eleven this coming summer:)

• Sean Locke says:

Sorry, but thanks for interest. With that much time, though, you can download the template and work on making your own 🙂

31. LPecan says:

Apple’s Herculanum font looked great.
    Thanks for sharing the template.
    Another happy 11th birthday.